Sausage & broccoli pasta with cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 pork sausages
- 1 heaped tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g short pasta of your choice, such as orecchiette or penne
- 1 medium broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pinch of chilli flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 50g freshly grated pecorino or hard cheese
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8-10 mins until soft and translucent.
- STEP 2
Squeeze the sausagemeat from the casings and crumble into the pan with the onion. Drizzle in 1 tbsp sunflower oil, turn up the heat to medium-high and fry until the sausagemeat has started to colour and turn slightly crisp in parts, about 5-6 mins. Lightly crush the fennel seeds using a pestle and mortar. Add the garlic and crushed fennel seeds to the sausagemeat and cook for 1 min more until fragrant, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- STEP 3
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta following pack instructions, or until al dente. Halfway through the cooking time, add the broccoli. When the pasta is ready and broccoli tender, drain in a colander, reserving a mugful of the cooking water.
- STEP 4
Stir the cooked broccoli and pasta into the sausage mixture in the pan until coated. Season well. Stir through the lemon juice, chilli flakes and a splash of the reserved cooking water to loosen if needed (or use 1 tbsp oil, if you like). Serve in bowls topped with the cheese.
Comments, questions and tips